Here you will find sporadic commentary on motherhood, written in stolen moments.
2017 Postpartum Series
- The First Week: In Pictures (Part 1: The First Days)
- The First Week: In Pictures (Part 2: How We Eat and Sleep)
- What Bleeding Taught me About Trump’s America
- Week 2: Crying
- Week 3: Growing and Shrinking
- Week 4: Gentle Sleep Training
- Week 5: The Hospital Bill Arrives (A.K.A. Why You Can’t Shop for Health Care)
- Week 6: A Great Time to Return to Work
- Week 7: And Now My Watch Is Ended
- Week 8: Is There Room for Motherhood in Feminism?
- Week 9: Maternity Leave, In Pictures
- Week 10: The Baby Weight
- Week 12: Destiny or Chaos?, The Deep Questions
- Week 20: What if I Told You…
- First Trimester
- Dear Pregnant Self
- Pregnancy Confession
- Things I Don’t Miss About Being Pregnant
- Baby Registries: What to Add, What to Skip
- Global Billing: Wait, You Want Me to Pay Before the Baby is Born?
- I Wore a FitBit During Pregnancy and Childbirth: Here’s What I Learned
- I Wore a FitBit During the First Year Postpartum: Here’s How Much Sleep I Lost
Travel Through My Second Pregnancy
- First Trimester
- Week 13: Welcome, Muffin Top.
- Week 14: Why Am I Eating so Much Apple Crisp?
- Week 18: Already?
- Week 19: The End of Child # 1’s Naptime
- Week 20: The Answer is No.
- Week 21: Streeetch
- Week 22: Practicing Gratitude
- Week 23: Practicing Generosity
- Week 25: The Edge of Viability (on the pro-life/pro-choice debate)
- Week 27: Here Comes the Weight Again
- Week 28: I Understand TV as a Babysitter Now
- Week 32: On the Feeling of Splitting Open
- Week 34: When My Post Went Viral
- Week 36: Sort of Ready for Another Baby
- Week 36 1/2: Last Trimester Funk
- Week 37: Endings
- Week 38: Paradoxes
- Week 39: What We Learn from Pain
- Week 40: Ticking Time Bomb
- 40 Weeks and 4 Days: Mountain Climbing
- Week 41: The Answer is No. And Yes.
- 41 Weeks and 3 Days: Ranting and Raving
- Finally, We’ve Had the Baby
- Birth Announcement Pictures
Labor and Birth
- What Labor and Death Have in Common
- On Natural Childbirth: An honest confession to first-time moms
- Birth in (almost) Two Words
- “You Complete Me?”: The problem when birth becomes romance
- A Birth Story in Songs
- These Holy Hours
- Postpartum Levels of Sleep Deprivation
- On Using the Snotsucker: A Letter to My Colleague
- The Picture I Don’t Like to Remember
- My Gift to You, First-Time Mothers
- We Don’t Care for Them Because We Love Them
- The First First-Birthday Party
- On Turning Two
- To Be Three
- Thanks, Motherhood: I can handle rejection now.
- I Go to Work to “Relax”: a.k.a Why Staying Home with My Kids Would Destroy Me
- Why My Kids Will be Getting Jitterbugs Instead of Smartphones
- The Tough Nights: a.k.a Don’t Ask if the Baby is Sleeping Through the Night
- I Heart Daycare (and some ramblings about feminism)
- Terrifying Moments in Parenting: In Random Order
- Breaking Up is Hard to Do
- The World is Good Because it is Bad: A Letter to My Unborn Child
Book Club Discussions
- Book Club Discussion # 1: Breastfeeding… or not
- Book Club Discussion # 2: Who should intervene when women have trouble breastfeeding?
- Book Club Discussions # 3: My Body, My Choice?
- Without a Name: When a Parent has Bipolar Depression
- Giving Grief a Voice
- Words for a Grieving Friend
The Writing Life
- Self-publishing: Costs and benefits
- Writing the Formulaic Novel: Yes, please
- Walking Through the Fear
- Thanks, Motherhood. I can handle rejection now.
- Walk the Line: Writing for an unseen audience
- Why I Don’t Want to be Great: An artist’s reflection
- America: Your Thoughts and Prayers Aren’t Enough
- One Thing That Google Memo Got Right: Ladies, This One May Hurt
- Why Are American Women Dying in Childbirth?
- Why Women Have 20-Week Abortions
- A Response to the Heartbeat Bill: A Letter to Governor Kasich
- What I Know About Muslims
- When Pro-Life is Anti-Health
- Love: It’s What Makes This Election Different
- What I Will Tell My Kids about Race
- For What Can We Blame Parents?
- Brock Turner: It’s Time to Call it Rape
- Gorillas and Refugees
- A Response to “Meternity” author, Meghann Foye
- To the Syrian Mother of Triplets, Fleeing from Isis
- The Stories Without the Happy Endings
- Talking about the Hard Stuff: Teacher as Agent of Social Change
Election 2016 Series
- My Heart is Broken
- My Baby’s Due Date is Inauguration Day
- Sitting in the Discomfort
- What Bleeding Taught Me About Trump’s America
- Book of Life and Death: Book Review of “Signs of Life“
- Book Review of “Mothering Through the Darkness”
- Book Review of “The Natural Baby Sleep Solution”
- 20 Years in Songs
- The Things You Can’t Leave Behind (essay about identity and social class)
- The Bad Boy
- Beautiful, the Bitch
- The Thanksgiving Ride Home